- The default value for elements.
- Takes left & right margins and padding, but not top & bottom
- An inline element will accept margin and padding, but the element still sits inline. Margin and padding will only push other elements horizontally away, not vertically.
- cannot have a width and height set
- An inline element will not accept
width. It will just ignore it.
- allow other elements to sit to their left and right
- respect top & bottom margins and padding
- respect height and width
- respect all of those
- force a line break after the block element
- acquires full-width if width not defined